List of mainstream films with unsimulated sexThe depiction of sexuality in mainstream cinema was at one time restricted by law and self-imposed industry standards. Films showing explicit sexual activity were, with very rare exceptions, confined to privately-distributed underground films or "porn loops". Beginning in the 1960s, however, mainstream cinema began pushing boundaries in terms of what is allowed on screen. Although the vast majority of sexual situations depicted in mainstream cinema are simulated, on rare occasions, filmmakers have produced motion pictures in which actors were allowed (or instructed) to engage in some level of genuine sexual activity, up to and including sexual intercourse. The difference between these films and pornography is that, while such scenes might be considered pornographic, the main intent of these films is usually not pornographic. Despite this, the release of such films (recent examples include Vincent Gallo's The Brown Bunny and Michael Winterbottom's 9 Songs) have often been accompanied by controversy; many of these films have only been released in their uncensored form on home video and DVD, while the scenes in question are usually made widely available (legally or usually otherwise) through the Internet.
Films with confirmed unsimulated sexual activity
The following mainstream films have scenes with real/unsimulated sex, meaning actors are filmed engaging in actual sexual intercourse or performing related sexual acts such as fellatio and cunnilingus. These scenes have been confirmed either through visual on-screen evidence, or via the actors themselves in interviews.
* They Call Us Misfits (1968)
* El Topo (1970) - Features intercourse between director-star Alexandro Jodorowsky and lead actress Mara Lorenzio.
* Cry Uncle! (1971) - Actress Maureen Byrnes performs unsimulated fellatio in orgy scene.
* Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song (1971) - Melvin Van Peebles directed this film that featured unsimulated sex scenes between Van Peebles' character, and several women. Van Peebles contracted a sexually transmitted disease while filming and successfully filed for worker's compensation.
* W.R. - Misterije organizma (1971) (English title: W.R.: Mysteries of the Organism) - Nancy Godfrey caress Jim Buckley's penis until he gets an erection.
* Sweet Movie (1974) - Carole Laure performs fellatio.
* Ai no corrida (1976) (English title: In the Realm of the Senses) - Several unsimulated sex scenes between actress Eiko Matsuda and actor Tatsuya Fuji, including penetration and fellatio.
* Fantasm (1976) - Actress Maria Welton performs explicit underwater fellatio and and 69ing position.
* The Punishment of Anne (1976) (Also Known As: The Image) - Actress Rebecca Brooke, credited as Mary Mendum, performs unsimulated fellatio.
* L'Ange et la femme (1977) (English title: The Angel and the Woman) - Several unsimulated sex scenes between actress Carole Laure and her then-husband Lewis Furey, including penetration and fellatio.
* La Svastica nel ventre (1977 - unsimulated sex with some explicit shots.
* Caligola (1979) (English title: Caligula) - Uncut version of this film includes several unsimulated sex scenes, including penetration and fellatio. None of the big-name actors involved in this Tinto Brass directed film participate in these scenes.
* Les H茅ro茂nes du mal (1979) (English title: The Angel and the Woman) - Penetration scene involving actress Marina Pierro and actor G茅rard Falconetti. Italian version is 26 seconds shorter than the original French version.
* Immagini di un convento (1979) - contains scenes of unsimulated sex.
* Les fruits de la passion (1981) (English title: Fruits of Passion) - Actress Isabelle Illiers performs unsimulated fellatio.
* Taxi zum Klo (1981) (English title: Taxi to the Toilet) - Contains unsimulated gay sex and a golden shower scene.
* Caligola: La storia mai raccontata (1982) (Also Known As: Caligula II: The Untold Story) - Several unsimulated sex scenes, including penetration and fellatio.
* L'Alcova (1984) - shots of masturbating and some brief, unsimulated sex scenes (none of them involving Laura Gemser).
* Emmanuelle V (1985) - Two versions of this film were released: an R-rated version and a hardcore version with several unsimulated sex scenes inserted (none of the added material feature the film's star, Monique Gabrielle).
* The Right Side of My Brain (1985) and Fingered (1986). In both of these short films, directed by erotic photographer Richard Kern, singer-actress Lydia Lunch (who wrote both screenplays) engages in unsimulated fellatio, intercourse, and other sexual acts.
* Devil in the Flesh (1986) - fellatio between Maruschka Detmers and Federico Pitzalis (considered one of the first major Western films with unsimulated sexual content)
* Hotel St. Pauli (1988) - fellatio and golden shower between Amanda Ooms and 脴yvin Bang Berven
* La vie de J茅sus (1997) (English title: The Life of Jesus) - Unsimulated sexual intercourse between actress Marjorie Cottreel and actor David Douche.
* Idioterne (1998) (English title: The Idiots) - Several unsimulated sex scenes, although director Lars von Trier has stated that body doubles were used for penetrative scenes (penetration censored by animated black boxes in most English-language releases)
* Fiona (1998) - Actress Alyssa Mulhern performs unsimulated fellatio.
* Seul contre tous (1998) (English title: I Stand Alone) - Uncut version includes 25 seconds worth of near-pornographic material.
* Guardami (1999) - fellatio by Elisabetta Cavallotti. This scene is often circulated on the Internet, misidentified as the Chloe Sevigny fellatio scene from The Brown Bunny. Cavallotti is also shown inserting a cloth into her vagina during a strip club sequence.
* Jezus is een Palestijn (1999) (English title: Jesus Is a Palestinian) - Unsimulated sexual intercourse between actress Dijn Blom (b/d) and actor Hans Teeuwen.
* La donna lupo (1999) - Actress Loredana Cannata performs unsimulated fellatio.
* Giulia (1999) - Unsimulated sexual intercourse involving lead actress Anna Biella in this Italian film.
* Pola X (1999) - Unsimulated sexual intercourse between actress Yekaterina Golubeva (b/d) and actor Guillaume Depardieu.
* Romance (1999) - This film shows digital penetration of lead actress Caroline Ducey, unsimulated intercourse in a dream sequence of unknown actors and a brief shot of a man ejaculating on an unidentified woman's belly. The nature of the other sexual scenes involving Ducey are disputed. There is apparent fellatio by Ducey on Sagamore St茅venin, but his penis is never actually seen in her mouth and it has been suggested this scene was simulated. There is also possible unsimulated intercourse between Ducey and Rocco Siffredi (participants differ in their claims as to whether the scene was unsimulated or not).
* Vampire Strangler (1999) - Actress Misty Mundae performs unsimulated fellatio in the "deleted scenes".
* Baise-moi (2000) - Several unsimulated sex scenes, including penetration and fellatio, involving Karen Lancaume and Raffa毛la Anderson.
* Scrapbook (2000) - Actress Emily Haack performs unsimulated fellatio.
* Intimacy (2001) - Fellatio scene between actress Kerry Fox and actor Mark Rylance. It is often falsely stated that actual intercourse is performed between the two leads, but this rumor was dispelled by Fox's boyfriend, who wrote an article for The Guardian about the making of the film.
* Le Pornographe (2001) - this French drama about the life of a filmmaker shows him shooting an unsimulated sex scene including penetration and ejaculation involving lead actress Ovidie. Directed by Bertrand Bonello.
*Hundstage (2001) (English title: Dog Days) - Actress Claudia Martini performs unsimulated fellatio in a threesome scene.
* Embrace the Darkness II (2001) - unrated version of this made-for-cable thriller shows penetration during a sex scene involving Jezebelle Bond.
* Irr茅versible (2002) - a few brief glimpses of unsimulated sex (homosexual activity at a club early in the movie, a second-worth of fellatio at a party later on). The central rape scene of the movie, however, is simulated.
* Ken Park (2002) - Tiffany Limos has a sex scene with the two male leads in which she is shown licking an actor's penis. The film also includes a widely-discussed scene showing an actor apparently performing oral sex on actress Maeve Quinlan, however the angle of the shot makes it impossible to tell if the act is actually being performed.
* La novia de L谩zaro (2002) (English title: Lazaro's Girlfriend) - Actress Claudia Rojas performs unsimulated fellatio on actor Roberto Govin.
* The Real Cancun (2003) - Several couples in this documentary are briefly shown having actual intercourse although nothing explicit is visible in the released version.
* The Brown Bunny (2003) - Chlo毛 Sevigny performs unsimulated fellatio on Vincent Gallo to apparent climax
* Fallo! (2003) - this Tinto Brass-directed film includes scenes of unsimulated fellatio and genital fingering.
* 9 Songs (2004) - Several unsimulated sex scenes between actress Margo Stilley and actor Kieran O'Brien, including penetration, fellatio and on-screen ejaculation.
* Anatomie de l'enfer (2004) (English title: Anatomy of Hell) - unsimulated intercourse between Rocco Siffredi and Amira Casar's character. According to the director Catherine Breillat a body-double was used for Casar's most intimate scenes. Another scene appears to show male-on-male fellatio though it's difficult to tell if the act is actually being performed. The film also includes numerous close-ups of digital penetration of a woman.
* The Raspberry Reich (2004) - Uncut version has an unsimulated intercourse scene with actress Susanne Sach脽e.
* Antares (2004) - Actress Petra Morz茅 performs unsimulated fellatio.
* K盲rlekens spr氓k 2000 (2004) - Swedish movie with several unsimulated sex scenes.
* All About Anna (2005) - unsimulated sex scenes involving actress Gry Bay. The Producer's cut version also features Eileen Daly performing fellatio on Mark Stevens to climax.
* Batalla en el cielo (English title: Battle in Heaven) (2005) - two scenes of fellatio by lead actress Anapola Mushkadiz.
* Lie with Me (2005) - while the graphic sex and masturbation scenes in this Canadian film appear to be simulated, footage from an actual hardcore film (with penetration) is briefly visible on a TV screen, and during two sex scenes actress Lauren Lee Smith can be seen fondling the actor's penis before simulating fellatio (the actual act is not shown).
*Kissing on the Mouth (2005) - This independent film shot on a digital camera features many scenes of heterosexual sex (most likely simulated), however contains one scene where an actor masturbates in the shower with a close up of his climax (obviously unsimulated). The film was featured at SXSW 2005 in Austin, TX to good reviews.Tian bian yi duo yun (2005) (English title: The Wayward Cloud)
*Shortbus (2006) - Several actors in this soon-to-be-released Canadian film perform confirmed unsimulated intercourse, including TV personality and singer Sook-Yin Lee.